Understanding the properties of high CBD and THC cannabis strains is fundamental for those consuming for either medical or recreational use.
This article will delve into the specifics of CBD and THC, the advantages that each one offers, and the contrast between strains high in CBD and THC. Additionally, we will provide guidance on how to select the appropriate strain for your individual requirements and advise on reputable sources for purchasing high CBD and THC strain seeds.
What is CBD?
Cannabidiol, commonly known as CBD, is a non-psychoactive compound found abundantly in the cannabis plant.
It is unlike tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the principal psychoactive compound in cannabis responsible for the “high” sensation. CBD does not induce these effects.
Research has demonstrated that CBD holds potential health benefits, such as:
- Alleviating Pain and Inflammation: CBD exhibits anti-inflammatory properties, which may help manage chronic pain from neuropathic pain, arthritis, and migraines.
- Mitigating Anxiety and Depression: CBD may assist in diminishing anxiety and depression due to its interaction with serotonin receptors in the brain that regulate mood and social behavior.
- Enhancing Sleep: CBD has the potential to improve sleep quality and address insomnia by interacting with brain receptors that regulate sleep-wake cycles.
- Decreasing Seizures: CBD has helped reduce seizures in certain types of epilepsy such as Dravet syndrome and Lennox-Gastaut syndrome.
- Treating Neurological Disorders: CBD might help neurological disorders including Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s disease, and multiple sclerosis.
CBD is available in various forms, including oils, tinctures, capsules, topicals, and edibles. However, they are not regulated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Their quality and purity can significantly vary. Conduct research and opt for a trustworthy source to guarantee top-quality products.
What is THC?
Tetrahydrocannabinol, better known as THC, is the dominant psychoactive compound present in the cannabis plant. When consumed, THC binds to cannabinoid receptors in the brain, leading to the characteristic “high” typically associated with cannabis.
THC can have a spectrum of potential effects on the body and mind, such as:
- Inducing Relaxation and Euphoria: THC often induces feelings of happiness and contentment, which may be accompanied by increased sociability and talkativeness, depending on the cannabis strain.
- Altering Sensory Perception: THC can alter your perception, often intensifying them.
- Stimulating Appetite: THC is known to stimulate appetite, frequently leading to the well-known “munchies.”
- Physical Effects: THC can cause an array of physical effects, including dry mouth, red eyes, increased heart rate, and impaired coordination.
- Impairing Short-term Memory: THC can hinder concentration and memory retention, impairing decision-making and other cognitive functions.
Like CBD, THC can also be found in an array of forms, such as flower, edibles, oils, tinctures, and concentrates. Notably, the effects of THC products vary depending on the method of consumption, potency, metabolic differences, and tolerance level. It is suggested that first-time consumers start with a small dose and proceed cautiously. Also, always use THC products responsibly.
Examples of High CBD Strains
- Sour Tsunami: is a cannabis strain famous for being one of the first to be bred for high CBD rather than THC. Its CBD content measures around 10-11%, while THC is usually under 10%.
- Charlotte’s Angel: This cannabis strain is renowned for its high CBD content, often around 17%, and minimal THC content, less than 0.3%. The CBD Charlotte’s Angel has gained fame for helping with seizures and has potential therapeutic benefits such as reducing inflammation and pain.
- CBD Shark: It’s an 80% indica-dominant strain that offers an equal ratio of THC and CBD, both around 6-9%. It’s known for its potential pain-relieving properties.
- Harle-Tsu: This hybrid is a cross between Harlequin and Sour Tsunami, both known for their high-CBD content. Harle-Tsu is renowned for its high CBD to THC ratio, which can be as high as 20:1.
Examples of High THC Cannabis Strains
- Strawberry Banana: This indica-dominant hybrid is a cross between Banana Kush and the “Strawberry” phenotype of Bubble Gum. Strawberry Banana has a sweet, fruity flavor and often exhibits THC content above 20%.
- Gorilla Glue #4: This strain is a powerhouse in the cannabis world, known for its high THC levels that often reach between 25-30%. Due to its potency, Gorilla Glue #4, often abbreviated as GG4, has quickly become a favorite among both medicinal and adult use consumers. Purchasing high-quality Gorilla Glue #4 seeds from a reputable source can ensure that you’re growing a strain with the potential to produce the high THC levels and potent effects this variety is famous for.
- Kosher Kush: This strain, originally bred in Southern California, often has high THC levels ranging between 20-25%. It is the two-time winner of the High Times Medical Cannabis Cup for Best Indica.
Sourcing High CBD or THC Strain Seeds
If you’re keen to cultivate your own high CBD or THC strains, select a reputable seed bank offering quality seeds. Online seed banks, like Herbies, provide an extensive variety of high CBD and THC strain seeds. You can sift through different strains, read detailed descriptions, and select those that align with your needs.
Another option is local dispensaries, which employ knowledgeable staff who can assist in selecting the right strains for your needs. However, strain availability fluctuates.